The Engineering Manager plans, organizes, and directs engineering staff to meet company objectives for design, product development and improvement of existing product lines.
The Engineering Manager will be directly responsible for resource allocation, departmental planning, budget maintenance, and performance reporting, as well as supervising the Engineering Department staff in project assignment, task management, prioritization, and scheduling. The position will also direct staff toward company and departmental objectives for both new and existing product research, development, and design.
- Manage engineering staff, prepare work schedules, assign specific duties
- Create and maintain departmental budgets for the Engineering Department
- Hire, train and mentor other engineers and supporting staff
- Direct and coordinate the creation of Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, mechanical and electrical drawings, and internal manufacturing reference materials
- Lead in the creation of the product bill of materials to consistently meet project deadlines
- Coordinate and lead the preparation of sales proposals/bids and contracts
- Lead the strategic development of the Engineering Department
- Coordinate with Sales, Service and Operations Departments to develop and manufacture new products and enhance existing designs
- Make detailed plans to accomplish specific departmental and strategic company goals
- Review performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement, assess products and processes for potential cost reduction and process improvement
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with staff members as necessary
- Determine staffing requirements and interview, supervise, and train new employees, or oversee those personnel processes
- Perform water treatment process calculations & simulations using industry standard RO sizing and chemical calculation software
- Create Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s) for new system proposals and orders
- Create Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s) for final in-house system designs
- Support Sales Department personnel in technical approaches to proposals
- Determine appropriate water treatment technologies for project opportunities
- Size treatment equipment (filters, pumps, RO systems, ozone injection systems, ozone sparge systems, etc.)
- Review client specifications and communicate with client’s technical representatives
- Work with automation, mechanical design, and production disciplines to ensure proper process design of all equipment
- Preparation of process information for equipment / instrumentation datasheets
- Create equipment tag lists for system components
- Define Control Narratives for complete system operation
- Lead technical discussions & presentations to clients
- Write project specifications and review or compile final sales proposals
- Assist in the Specification of purchasing of equipment, issue RFQ’s, quote comparison, vendor selection
- Process approval of fabrication drawings and control strategies
- Determine component specifications for overall system designs and new product development
- Support the development and maintenance of the Technical Resources Division within Engineering, including case study creation, technical journal submissions, internal database, and website development
- Successfully manage small to medium projects simultaneously
- Support R&D with technical research including existing patents, methods, white papers, etc.
- Assist in creation of control system narratives, device tag lists and input/output (I/O) charts
- Assist with task documentation and scope definition during customer meetings
- Support engineering team members in all other engineering duties, including mechanical design and documentation, quality control, and manufacturing engineering where needed
- Introduce new projects with engineering and production teams with clear definitions of project expectations and goals.
- Assist in creation in project schedule and task management for engineering and production teams
- Process & Instrumentation Diagram creation and owner of final system design from project kick-off to project completion including QC
- Guide the design team in the creation of 3D mechanical layout, assembly and part fabrication drawings
- Specify equipment for purchasing, issue RFQ’s to vendors, compare quotes and vendors and create initial Bill of Materials for project including major equipment and long-lead items.
- Support engineering team members in all other engineering duties, including mechanical, electrical, control and process design and documentation
- Interact with Purchasing to source and specify new components and support system fabrication questions or concerns
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- The ability to effectively communicate a clear vision and strategy for the development of the engineering team and department as a whole
- Complete understanding of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams and overall system process design
- Familiarity with industrial control systems using PLC based controls and experience with typical control elements like relays, 4-20mA loop devices, sensors, control valves etc.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities independently without direct supervision
- The candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis in technical report writing
- Experience with leading technical discussions with customers with heavy engineering backgrounds.
- Utilize task management system to set deadlines, prioritize project work and meet those deadlines
- Candidate must possess an Engineering degree, or equivalent, and experience in a field involved in technical projects
- 5 years of engineering experience including management experience preferred
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude and excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Direct experience with MS Office, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks (3D and Electrical)
- The ability to work both independently and closely with others
- Schedule flexibility with the ability to travel
- The ideal candidate will possess experience in the water treatment industry with a strong knowledge of organic chemistry, water treatment applications, customer service, and project organization.
- Experience in the engineering, design, and project management of water treatment processes, products, systems, and facilities
- Familiarity with environmental remediation design, equipment, processes, and technologies
- The ability to consistently produce quality work within budget and on schedule
- A licensed PE is preferred but not required
- Valid Driver license